How to set up a successful youtube ad campaign?
If you’re promoting your brand on Youtube, you know how hard work it takes to create a quality video. You spend days and even months to finalize a script, finding the right talent, and shooting. And the result is a blockbuster product video. After all this hard work, can you stop after sharing your video on other social media platforms and hoping that people will watch it? Doesn’t sound realistic, right?
While great content is meant to be found, you must make efforts to gain the viewers’ attention and educate the audience who aren’t familiar with your brand. While many people prefer buying Youtube views, there is one more efficient way to get the desired result. Running a successful Youtube ad campaign is a way to ensure that the audience finds your video. What’s important to consider is that YouTube ad campaigns are very different from PPC or paid social campaigns.
So if you’re wondering how to set up a Youtube ad campaign or how to advertise on YouTube, we have got you covered. In this article, we have discussed how to optimize a Youtube ad campaign
First of all, let us understand the three types of YouTube video ads :
- TrueView Ads – These are the standard video types on YouTube. Advertisers only pay when the viewers interact with their true view ads by clicking on CTA or any case. Advertisers pay when a viewer watches the ad for 30 seconds or until the end of the video. Skippable True view ads can be as long as 6 minutes, while non-skippable ones could be 20 to 30 seconds long.
- Pre Roll Ads – Some ads cannot be skipped and can play before, in between, and at the end of the main video. These are Preroll Ads that can be 20 to 30 seconds long. Because these ads can’t be skipped, they are made carefully with a call to action to optimize the viewer’s attention.
- Bumpers – The final and the shortest kind of ad among the three is bumper. At just 6 seconds, viewers will see a bumper before their chosen video. Though bumpers cannot tell the whole story in just 6 six seconds, they support larger video campaigns very efficiently. That’s why it’s vital to use those 6 seconds very wisely.
How to Launch an Effective YouTube Ad Campaign?
Create Your Youtube Channel – Create your Youtube channel and choose a relevant name for your product or brand. After this, select a category your channel falls in. You can create multiple channels for your brand. You can also create one channel for your core brand and another for your products. However, it’s a best practice to create one channel and upload everything there.
Create and Upload your Video – This one is quite obvious, you have to create and upload something for your viewers to watch. Because this is obvious doesn’t mean this step is easy. Creating quality content is very time consuming and has to be done the right way to engage more viewers. Make sure your video supports your brand or product in an efficient way.
Set Up Youtube Advertising – With the new Google Ads interface, you can manage Youtube ads with more ease. If you have done Google Ads and Facebook Ads, many features will seem familiar to you.
Here are the steps you need to follow to enable Youtube Ads for your business :
- Link Google Adwords to your channel – Start with adding Google Adwords to your youtube channel. For doing this, follow the below process :
- Log in to your channel
- Click the My Channels tab
- Click the advanced tab on the channel page
- You will see the Link and Adwords account tab on the screen.
After completing this, you’ll receive an email confirming that you have successfully done the process.
- Choose Youtube Advertising Campaign Objective – The next step includes creating your campaign. Now in the Google Ads dashboard, click the + button and select a new campaign. According to your campaign goal, choose one of the following options for your ad.
- Brand Awareness and Reach is used to create more buzz about your brand, and it has more options.
- Product and Brand considerations allow you to create awareness in front of a big audience, including influencers.
- Leads and Website Traffic are the options for driving more traffic to your videos.
- Choose a Video ad format – The video format you’ll choose will depend on your campaign goal and video length. As we have already discussed, you can choose any one of the three types of Youtube ads. These three types are :
- True View Ads
- Bumper Ads
- Pre Roll
- Set up a Budget and Bidding Strategy
Understand Youtube’s Bidding Process
- Cost Per Link – CPC or Cost Per Link means you’ll pay for every click in your campaign.
- Cost Per View – CPV or Cost Per View means you have to pay for video views ( at least 30 seconds or the entire video if it’s less than 30 seconds). Cost Per View is a default setting in Google Adwords.
Choose Your Bid
You have to decide how much you want to pay before creating your ads. CPV is the price you’re willing to pay whenever someone watches your video. Increasing your bids can help drive more traffic, but it’s best to choose a limit you’re comfortable with. Also, remember, CPV can fluctuate relatively as advertisers change their bid limits or targeting strategy.
The trick is to set your bid high enough to drive enough traffic and low enough so that slight changes in your competitor’s strategy doesn’t deplete your budget. To create custom bids, do the following :
- Under your Adwords Account, click “All video Campaigns.”
- In the Target tab, you’ll find a Bid column
- Next, you’ll see an icon named “Customize bids per format” click on this button to set bids for different categories.
- Define the target audience for your Youtube campaign – Here, audience targeting options are quite robust. You can add filters to your ad campaign. These filters will improve the quality of the audience you can reach. With every filter, your CPV goes up. If you’re a beginner, avoid adding too many filters to the same group.
You have multiple options for targeting your audience; this includes demographic, interest, and behavioral targeting.
- Demographic – As you all know, this is to select your audience based on their age, gender, income, and marital status. While applying this filter, keep in mind the unregistered viewers. Unlike Instagram or Facebook, you don’t have to log in to watch the videos. Those viewers who do not log in or create an account are added to the Unknown category.
- Custom Affinity Targeting – Here, you can choose audience interest from predefined categories of Google, which includes Beauty, Finance, News, Sports, fitness, Travelling, Technology, etc.
- Live Events, In-markets, and Custom Intent targeting – Similar to affinity targeting, here you define products your customers may be searching for.
- Optimize your ad visibility with Topics, Keywords, and Placements – First of all, forget everything about keywords you know till now. Here you have to search for keywords that appear in the videos where your ads will be shown.
The same approach works for topics. Know that topics are less flexible than keywords.
To Conclude the Beginner’s Guide
Youtube has gained huge popularity among the audience. People are not only watching videos for entertainment but for getting information also. Due to this, many promoters use Youtube to advertise their brands and expand their reach to more people.
Youtube ad campaign is an efficient way to promote your brand videos. Many factors collectively affect the success of your ad campaign. So, with creating great ads, put some extra effort into deciding price and target audience. It’s best to first know every basic thing about running a Youtube ad campaign and then go for it. At first, start small and move slowly. Learn from your previous experience and optimize your campaign accordingly.